Inspired my Mikal Harts “Reverse Geocache Puzzle” and Russ Weeks “Frustromantic Box” I thought I’d try build my own and use it as a geocache. Since the only programming I had done were simple bash scripts I was happy to see that Russ posted his source code giving me the start I needed – Russ was a great help with the coding part of this project. I had already bought an Arduino and was reading various tutorials and trying different sketches. My parts shopping list was similar to what Russ used though in my prototype I used a micro switch as the “backdoor” and changed the code to suit. My final box uses a drawer for the log book and padlocked lid so I can gain access to the drawer & electronics without having a “backdoor” plus the cacher who solve the puzzle don’t have access to the electronics.
My parts list looked like this:
Arduino – Freeduino clone from Solarboticics
LCD – Any HD44780 compatible 16×2 unit. I picked up a couple off ebay from Dipmicro Electronics.
Servo – Like Russ I used a full rotation servo from SparkFun – I am going to use a regular HiTec HS-311 I pickup up from a local RC hobby shop in the next CacheDuino
Battery Pack – I used a 5xAA from Solarbotics, more juice than a 4xAA and it should last longer than a single 9V battery.
Other parts – A small push button switch, ribbon cable & cat5 wire I had laying around, a micro switch for the “backdoor”, a bellcrank from the RC hobby store to lock the lid.
The actual box was made from some recycled cedar board wall panels from our basement. The box was a “quick & dirty” build as it was going to get painted camo green and needed to be functional vs pretty.
Part II will be the electronics of the build.